Centre for Australian Studies (CAS)
In April 2017, the Centre for Australian Studies was officially launched. It builds upon the vivid exchange of inter- and transdisciplinary research and teaching projects established over the past ten years at the English Department/University of Cologne with colleagues from Germany and Australia.
The Centre is a collaborative project committed to the study and promotion of inter- and transdisciplinary research in the area of Australian Studies, bringing together perspectives from Geography, History, Linguistics, Literary and Cultural Studies as well as Anthropology and Biology. The Centre is committed to
- promote awareness and understanding of Australia as a geographically, culturally and linguistically unique and diverse Environment
- advance Australian Studies in Germany in multiple areas of academia
- promote Australian Studies in Universities across Germany
- encourage the creation of new teaching formats and raise students’ interest in Australia-related topics
- establish and maintain links and connections between German and Australian scholars
- organise events (conferences, workshops, summer schools) on issues in Australian Studies past and present
The Centre is based in the English Department/University of Cologne, which provides an array of research and teaching activities in Australian Studies. We are working with several research institutions and non-profit organisations across Germany and Australia. Our activities involve educational and research-oriented projects that bring together Australian and German scholars.